Wednesday, July 21, 2004

serve the church

Remember the movie Bull Durham? I like the scene in which Kevin Costner is being interviewed and just keeps offering phrases that he's been told work as answers. Stock nothings. Jargon. Cliché. One needn't be in the music business to have picked up on the industry lingo. Christian musicians, like all others, shop their product. They strive to create a broad market appeal. Narrow musical style to easily fit a format. Capture a wider audience. In my thinking, all this is fine and dandy for anything except music that claims to have been created to facilitate worship. So for what, you ask, should worship music writers strive? Well that's what I've been trying to get to.
This past week, I attended seminars by 4 Englishmen, Graham Kendrick, Martin Smith, Stu G., and Matt Redman. From all 4, I heard the phrase, "serve the church." Each one stated that they felt it their calling and strove to write worship songs that serve the church. Each of these writers spoke of writing songs for their own local congregations. If you know the Delirious? story, you know that this is how it started. This is how it still is. No record contract, but songs that have only the purpose of facilitating worship and growing stronger Christians. Delirious? had to fly back to England immediately after the concert to participate in a wedding at their local church. On Sunday, they were leading worship with children at their church.
Now I know that the church is global. It is made of all believers. It is beyond my local body. The intent of serving the church reaches all these. But the operative word is serve, not market. It breaks my heart to see the expression of anointed worshiping songwriters usurped by ark culture stars who turn the expression into industry that confuses the church who were to be led into worship by the humble offerings of these songs.
Immediately after Martin Smith's talk, a question came from the audience, "I've written dozens of worship songs, I think they're pretty good. Could you give me some advice on how to "get them out there". I don't know how Martin Smith kept from responding, "listen, you selfish idiot. Did you not hear a single word I just said?" Instead, Martin Smith patiently repeated himself, "just play your songs for your local church body to worship. If God wants them to minister further, He'll make it happen."
Serve the church. In so doing, we serve God. Lead your local community to worship.

|