Thursday, December 25, 2003

Et incarnatus est

You’ve probably noticed a lot of holes in my blog lately. I’ve tried to pretend that I just haven’t had time or anything to say. But that’s not really true. I have had plenty to say, and I’ve said it – I just haven’t put it out there for you. But I think I might be ready to put some of it out there. I’ve felt kind of silly that I seem so consumed, especially here during advent and Christmas. I’ve tried so hard to have an uncommon advent experience, to be spoken to in a new, deeper way, to understand on a fresh level.
But I’m distracted by the encroaching departure of my dear friend. I’m feeling guilt from being distracted, torn for having prayed so hard for something and then being sad because the prayers are beginning to be answered. I’m embarrassed at feeling so deeply everything that is happening and feel guilt from being embarrassed by feeling so deeply.
Why would I try so hard to be open for a fresh advent experience and then be closed by the concurrent events?
I think I’ve found the answer. My dichotomous heart has found the connection of my conflicting foci. I know the meaning of Christmas! I feel like Charlie Brown must have felt when Linus began his monologue.
I’ve asked why we can’t be satisfied celebrating Christmas at Christmas. Has it lost its meaning? Its depth? Why do we have to pack it with Easter? Why can’t we learn from the waiting the way it has been revealed to us?
The meaning of Christmas is the birth of the God thing, the redemption process on earth. Easter is the fruition on earth and in Heaven (Revelation 5). Advent should prepare us for God’s doing through us. Christmas should always birth in us a special remembrance of God’s call on our lives, of our assignment, the coming of God’s ministry to humanity in our lives. We can’t give birth to this call without the knowledge of the completed Gospel. For that is the message that we are given to deliver as the call is birthed in our lives.
Today, a God thing is birthed. The nativity looks like a young couple with a baby headed home with the good news. All around are sheep that have been cared for, changed, and grown by this couple. Now they’re bleating prayers of boldness and protection. Other shepherds pray for them as they embark. Wise men pronounce blessings and advice and wisdom gained from their own years of experience answering the call.
On Christmas day, 2003, Jolie and Conner board a plane to Texas. Greg will follow close behind. Their journey to their native land to give birth to the ministry conceived by the Holy Spirit. A message packaged specially for a specific group of people.
God loves you Austin. And He wants you back. He’s made all the arrangements. The good news is once again given flesh, hands and feet. Incarnation. Embodiment.

|