Tuesday, July 20, 2004

roundabout

Somehow, for a fleeting moment, I actually thought that I might be able to blog afterthoughts of my trip in some kind of linear reverse order from the long hurry up and wait flight back. Linear? When have I ever been linear? I've always been random access. Many of you can't figure out how I survive a brain like this, but it provides quite a useful tool called non-destructive editing. That is one reason I'm quite unafraid to try some new thinking. I know that if it proves wrong, I can simply click undo and return to the old way. On the other hand, if the new way proves right, I'll click save, and no matter how many times you try to reach over my shoulder and click undo, a dialogue box will appear that says, auto recovery function has been disabled from that outdated and erroneous process and I'll spend some time trying to soften the language of the dialogue box.
I've used the term assimilate several times this week to describe what I have to do to help you make some sense of my ramblings. Truth is, however, that the term defrag probably is equally as accurate. I took notes all week in MS Word format on my PDA. That's great if all you're doing is taking notes on the talk. But if you've got any kind of threaded response to the whole, it can be quite cumbersome to have only one file open at a time. So I'm bouncing back and forth between my PDA contained bible and the singular talk notes file and my linear threaded response among my random access brain files. My linear threaded responses find themselves fragmented in numerous separate files in the PDA that contain the notes from various individual talks that were delivered in well constructed linear fashion.
Now all that was intentionally confusing. But if you read it again thinking that maybe it can be understood, it might provide some insight into my processes. Maybe not.
Now the reward for living with a low IQ and an unorganized appearance is the ability in the end to compare things side by side and find connections, similarities and differences, conflicts and common ground, cause and effect, etc. I assimilate, therefore I am.
Well then. If anyone finds him/herself still awake, here comes the first and perhaps most important simple observation that this process has brought me thus far this week. I'll try not to make its conveyance here as simple as the concept.

to be continued

|