Wednesday, July 14, 2004

at least it makes a good story

It was my plan to treat you tonight with the set list from the Rush concert I went to. But nothing ever goes as planned. It's a heckuva notion. So the bottom line is, I'm an idiot. I bought a ticket, was delivered to the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Irvine, and thought I could sneak my camera in. I always do. Not in California. Here, you can't even sneak you keys in. Empty your purse and pockets and every soul gets patted down. All 15,000 of us at the sold-out concert. The line for security was at least three-quarters of a mile. This time I'm not exaggerating. If you don't believe me, I stood in it for 60 minutes until Rush had been playing for 45 minutes, and my camera was discovered and I was told I had to leave it in the car. But I don't have a car, I pleaded. I'm from South Carolina and have traveled 3,000 miles for this concert because I missed them in Charlotte on May 28. My friends dropped me off here and I can't leave my camera in the car. Sorry, SIR, you can't bring it in. Can I check it somewhere? Leave it with an officer? At the box office? In the bushes? Sorry SIR. But... I'm a nice guy! Am I not meant to see the 30th anniversary tour? I've missed 2 opportunities! I haven't missed a Rush tour since 1981! Count'em. That's a lot of Rush concerts. Charleston, Pittsburg, Columbia, Charlotte, Greenville, Irvine. Having missed 45 minutes due to the over zealous security, terrified that one of us 40 somethings with our children and grandchildren in tow, might try to sneak in some paraphernalia, or try to shoot someone with a camera, I made a quick decision to sell my ticket and walk back to Irvine Center for a long chat on the phone with Allison. At least I got to hear 7 live Rush songs from across the fence, including Subdivisions, and Animate.
And I missed Jars o' Clay for this? It was worth it. Experience California.
Sorry Neil, Alex and Geddy. I tried. Again. I'll see you in Atlanta!!!!
Tomorrow night it is Deliriou5? I'm really looking forward to that.
Oh, yeah - lots of cool conference stuff today, but I'm too tired to blog it. Maybe tomorrow.
I'm going to go get a cookie. d:liciou5?
And head to bed.

|