Sunday, October 23, 2005

post-blog?


It used to be a blog post. There used to be fence posts, door posts, Washington Post, Saturday Evening Post, goal post, high post, low post. Then it all started when I was in high school, at either high post or low post, I had to post-up. Do you see the subtle change? Now everything is post-something. The last shall be first.
Just this week, in class, I had to refer to the late 19th century as Post-Romanticism. If I had a nickel for every Post-something I've said, referred to, or heard in the past week, I would be post -retirement. First, I had to submit committee notes, post-haste through the Post Office for Monday's faculty meeting. The entire week, was one in which, back in the day, I'd have felt like I was tied to the whipping post, but these days, it feels more like Post-traumatic stress.
I searched on-line for updates on hurricane Wilma, and found articles in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and St. Louis Post-Dispatch. I read articles on Post-modernism, Post-Christian America, and even Post-evangelicalism, and heard an NPR spot on Post-Colonialism. Then, just this morning, after eating my Post Toasties (which, btw, used to be called, "Elijah's Manna", and we all know that Elijah could call down fire), on the way to church, a promo on NPR about a show this week called something like, "Our Posthuman Future." We will have microchips implanted in our brains that allow us to communicate with our spouses telepathically. Wifi for your head, I guess. It's not a matter of "if", but "when," said the soothing, but certain voice. Will lost himself in laughter when he heard it. "Dad, did you hear that? POST-HUMAN!!" ha ha ha ha...
I did a google search and found a book.
So if I couple this realization with the fact that I've been talking to a lot of people about my methodology/context concept rants, realize that the blog-post may not be around forever. Could we be on the brink of a post-blog society? Some might say it's not a matter of "if" but "when". I shudder to think about it. I suppose we would adapt and survive, but it is a terrifying prospect. I thought I might not survive Post Cereal. I like cereal. But I've held my ground and continued to live as though I'm in a Cereal Society. I supposed I will just ignore the culture and keep on blog posting.

|