Saturday, November 01, 2003

Happy Sentences

Christians often use the scriptures as a magic eight ball. We are using them to support what we already believe to be true, rather than reading them to find out what is True, what to believe. One simply takes his preconceived opinion and finds an out-of-context passage to support his views. This is also why so many skeptics find contradictions in the Bible. They are using the Bible as a reference text rather than a method book.
I hear things like, "I didn't know if I was good enough to win the tennis tournament, but I remembered my favorite scripture, 'I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength'". News flash: That passage has nothing to do with tennis tournaments; nor does it have anything to do with God giving you the ability to accomplish your goals. What it does mean is that through Christ's strength, one can learn to be content in whatever circumstances he finds himself. "Through Christ's strength, I will rejoice in a loss in this tennis tournament." In Christ's strength, I can be content in times of plenty; in Christ's strength, I can be content in times of need.
"Happy sentence" dependence on scripture is, I believe, a symptom of the need to justify our desires and circumstances, and find superficial encouragement for ourselves and others.
We desire to learn only what we want to learn; to learn only what we can see will help us immediately. God desires a relationship with us that is long-term. He doesn't want us to always seek specific answers to specific problems, or to seek encouragement for specific challenges, or to gain "soundbite" knowledge of scriptural happy sentences that we apply to our lives haphazardly. God wants us to listen to what He is saying through His word, to let Him apply His wisdom to the areas of our lives that He sees need work. He wants us to live and learn and grow in Him so that when we face challenges, we can draw on the vast amounts of wisdom that He has implanted in us through a life long relationship with Him.
Seldom as a child, did I ever ask my Dad specific how-to questions. I never asked him how to mow the lawn, or change the oil or wire a light switch. But from being around my Dad and having a relationship with him, these things were passed on to me, ready know-how for when I needed them.
Topical applications may kill the germs on the surface, or provide temporary relief of pain associated with a problem, but they cannot rid one of the underlying infection. This requires surgery. Sometimes God's surgery can take years to complete, but rest assured that when He is finished, you will be spiritually well, wise, and confident. All you have to do is trust Him that through your faith, He is growing you, preparing you and cleaning you.

©2002 by rod lewis

|