Thursday, October 30, 2003

bassoons, cigarettes, firewood, and relationships

We really don’t have all that much in common. True, I like some of the things you like, but for different reasons. We both like ice cream sundaes, but I suffer the nuts to enjoy the fudge while you pick the nuts to savor first. We both like taking long Sunday drives, but I enjoy the feeling of freedom and the scenery while you just enjoy being with me.
Yes we even dislike many of the same things, but for different reasons. Neither of us appreciate arrogance, greed, or selfishness. I’m offended by these because of the people who are stepped on by the arrogant, greedy and selfish. You, on the other hand also feel sorry and hurt for the arrogant, greedy and selfish.
We so often respond to the same things - I’m offended, you grieve; I’m angry, you hurt.
I really want to grow into a relationship in which we have common reasons for our things in common. I want to like the things you like for the same reasons you like them. I want to hate the things you hate for the same reasons you hate them. I want to share your emotions, not just be emotional at the same situations. I don’t know why you put up with me; maybe it’s the ubiquitous, “I can change him”. Well, if anyone can change me, you can. I’m just constantly trying to make you more like me, while you’re constantly trying to make me more like you. In my heart of hearts, I want to be more like you.

©2003 rod lewis

|