Wednesday, October 29, 2003

Skil and Opportunity

This summer I got a new tool out of necessity. I had to replace the door sill under the old house because the previous owner had satisfied the termite inspector by laminating the wet board and thus covering it up while it continued to rot during my tenure in the house. My termite inspector wasn’t nearly as accommodating. My work under the door, under the house led to a whole chain of events and spiritual lessons learned (these began upstairs, ironically, while working on another repair required by another inspector, Dave shared with my grumbling self, 1 Cor. 6:7). These lessons led to my own more detailed inspections to which I responded with a growing fix it list and completed improvement of which the new owners were, to my shame, exceedingly appreciative. But I digress…
The new tool was a sawzall. a 7.5 amp, reciprocating dream-come-true . The sawsall was the only choice short of dynamite to remove the old door sill, and it did its job on the nearly unreachable 2 x 8 in a matter of seconds, simultaneously endowing me with a feeling of power and accomplishment seldom rivaled by ordinary power tools.
Next day… my string of fixits led me up to the door frame on which I pried, banged, bent, etc. until I decided to once again employ the skilled Skil. Immediate success. A quick run from top to bottom between the frame and the wall and the door frame was no longer a problem.
Fast forward…
My past is full of frustration concerning the disassembling of that which needs replaced. I’ve spent hours, days even, taking apart something on my car or truck which took me only minutes to replace. I will never again spend time beneath the truck prying on the exhaust hangers. Friday morning I sawed them off in 5 seconds each. Duct tape and WD40 are for the older generation. I have a come-along and a sawzall. I don’t take nothing from nothing no more. You happily obey my request for removal or I’ll saw you off. I’ve got a brush blade, a hacksaw blade, a wood blade and a finger on the trigger. I’ve got 200 feet of extension cord and 7.5 amps of pure power. Man, I don't avoid confrontation with unmovable objects anymore. I'm looking for stuff to cut. Don’t mess with me, I’ve got no time. I’ve got to get on with it.

© 2003 rod lewis

|