Wednesday, November 05, 2003

El Decameron Negro


There is no way to stay ahead of the game. At any given moment in time, there is something that had already to have been done, something that must be done now, and something that needs to be done before you can get it done. So tonight I’m looking at papers that need to be corrected before tomorrow, I am in charge of tomorrow’s music convocation (I’m going to play; I’d better practice) and then I’ve got to practice for this concert I’m playing on Saturday night. So for the moment, I’m going to make my blog a part of my practice and preparation.

I’m going to play, El Decameron Negro. This is a suite of three movements that represent stories from “The Black Decameron”, a collection of African folk tales. The movements or stories are called, “The Harp of the Warrior”, “The Flight of the Lovers through the Valley of Echoes”, and “The Ballad of the Maiden in Love.” I have no idea what the details of these stories are, but the titles sure spark the imagination. The music is very descriptive too, quite programmatic, in that they seem to be story telling. There are musical pictures throughout, such as the flight of the lovers with a very fast arpeggiated section with a bass melody that is echoed between statements. The warrior’s soft, meditative strums are interrupted by fierce agitation and disjunct, driving sections. Even the beautiful maiden’s ballad, is interrupted twice by chaotic riffs and unsettled passages. She must be in love with the warrior who at once is fierce and romantic, aggressive and vulnerable.

I’m going to tell these stories with my guitar tomorrow and Saturday, as if I know them. I’m the only source of the knowledge of these great tales. Maybe I’m just making them up. Maybe I’ve forgotten what happened next and am embellishing this part a little. Poetic license. I’m going to keep you on the edge of your seat as you listen intently to find out what happens next.

So I’ll implant David as the warrior with the harp. I know the stories about David, can’t make anything up here, there is enough accurate music to cover the recorded events of his life. So I’ll explore the emotional and spiritual in the stories; his and those around him and mine on hearing and thinking on these events.

I’ll be the maiden in love; a member of the body that is Christ’s bride, made pure again by His provision. The lyrical counterpoint that is peace in His care and His desire to work through me to accomplish his plans. The chaotic interludes when I try to go off on my own, or misunderstand what He is doing, or simply disobey. The return of the lyrical counterpoint as I resolve to trust, as I am reminded of His sovereignty. The musical ellipsis that implies that the story goes on...

Ahh, the valley of the shadow of death. I will fear no evil. All around the echoes of my sin grow loud as the one from whom I am running tries to conjure up guilt that the One who is leading me through has taken away from me. Those echoing whispers of who I was before I was taken by the hand and lead out at full force by Him who has conquered this valley and took me to be a part of His bride.

So if you come hear me play, you’ll know what is going on in my head as my fingers try to find the words to say. I hope you’ll care enough to translate it to a language you can understand. One that speaks to you.

© 2003 rod lewis

|