Saturday, July 03, 2004

one-sided conversation

Have you ever had a conversation with an insect? I did today. Well, the conversation mostly consisted of a staredown and "what are you thinking right now?" I know that insects can read the minds of humans. If you don't believe me, just surprise a roach or palmetto bug on your driveway some evening. If you just look at him and don't think about killing him, he'll just sit there or wander around. But if in some distant recess of your mind, a thought of aggression enters, he'll zip away before you even realized you were thinking of it. Just mind your own business and stare straight at him and think about cotton candy, or monorail transit systems, and he and all his buddies will just wander around your chair - around your feet even. But stare up at the sky and don't move a muscle and entertain the notion of bug assassination deep in folds of your gray matter, and zoom, they are gone to bug bunker until you think again about public transportation.
So I don't know what this dragonfly was thinking, but he was intrigued by me as much as I was with him. And he knew exactly what I was thinking. He was flying around the yard when I came out with my camera. I sat down on the sidewalk to take a mushroom picture and he sat down on a lilly stem about 10 feet away. Then he flew a little closer and a little closer until he was within whisper distance.
At each stop, he would turn and face me and stare right into my eyes. If he landed with his tail toward me, he'd turn. I wanted to get a profile of him, because he was very colorful, but of course he knew that, and kept turning to face me. So I settled for a full on face shot until he read all my thoughts and realized he could trust me.
Finally he agreed to the profile, and then we sat and talked for a few more minutes until I had to go in for supper. He knows what I had - black beans and rice and corn - but I have no idea what he had.

|