Wednesday, June 30, 2004

allowance reduction

It occurs to me that even priceless things are made possible by money. Art, for example, will reflect the maturity, intelligence and sophistication of its creators and consumers. It may even be that its consumers will begin to reflect its maturity, intelligence and sophistication. Therefore, when the mature, intelligent and sophisticated are the ones with the means to consume, the creators must be equal to the task. When the immature, careless, and superficial are given the monetary means of consumption, they will reject the mature, intelligent and sophisticated. They will create a market for immaturity, superficiality, and carelessness, and sound the death knell for all else.
Even when I was kid I felt "all grown up" listening to music that my older friends were listening to. Music that was targeted to them. Now music is marketed to younger and younger audiences. The only thing that will slow this trend is that even in America, there must be a limit to how much sex you can market to an 8-year-old.
There have always been pre-teens who would prefer boy bands and Britney, Christina, and Jessica to John Adams, Sting or David Byrne, but they've not always had the money to shape the market. I'm pretty sure I know 12-year-old girls whose allowance is at least equal to my salary.
So I've got a request. Please reduce your 12-year-old daughter's allowance to bubble gum and soda pop levels so that some actual musicians can get discovered.

Naw... I'm just kidding ya.

|