Wednesday, June 23, 2004

The Weber-Fechner law part 3

If you think I've been all over the place lately, then you'll really see that here. I really didn't mean for my metaphor yesterday to be so abstract and veiled. Actually what I'm saying is nothing new or profound or unfamiliar. It's just that as we attempt to find ways to make things more meaningful, we consistently clutter them with things that obscure their meaning. We're bombarded with articles, books, mailings, newsletters, seminars, lectures, etc. about creating "meaningful" worship experiences, engaging a greater percentage of the congregation, facilitating congregation response and participation, creating energy in the worship sequence, dot dot dot. Advertisements for pre-prepared worship sequences complete with written-out modulations, transition prayers and spoken blurbs are everywhere. Enhance your worship experience with Volume 79 of our worship DVD series complete with ppt and pictures of worship facilitating barns and sunsets and snow-capped mountainscapes with spring flowers in the foreground, or abstract morphing colors and designs with 68% opacity lyrics fading on and off the screen. If I hear the phrase, "enhance your worship experience" one more time in an advertisement, I'm going to wet myself. If I read another bulleted article on sequencing keys and tempos and styles to engage the congregation I'm going to scream. Gene Simmons could give a seminar on creating an engaging arena experience and it would contain the same advice as that given for 'worship'.
I know, this is the millionth time this has been said. I'm sorry. But why, when fewer and fewer people actually understand worship, do we bury it further beneath clutter? When do we begin to model what we say worship is rather than explain it one way and attempt to practice it another?
The Weber-Fechner law applies here in that two things are moving in the opposite direction from each other and the opposite direction than they should be. The more we try to manufacture a "worship experience", the less we understand what worship is. So many candles have been lit, that we no longer notice each subsequent, confusing candle. As with my guitar playing, we've got to blow all the candles out so that we can see just how many we need to actually do what we've been called to do.
This is true across the board. We need to strip the Gospel down to what it is. We need to strip apprenticeship down to what it is. We need to strip prayer down to what it is.
I'm not even saying that all this stuff that has cluttered is wrong, or that it can't be reclaimed as helpful. Somewhere in the midst of all these candles, is the one light that deserves our focus. If we blow out everything else and locate it again, perhaps we won't lose sight of it as we re-light our candles.
So I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to turn into a rant. Please forgive me.

|