Wednesday, June 16, 2004

I don't do what I want to do holiness, part two

I've been writing a song for about 3 years now, based on Romans chapter 7. You're bound to know me well enough from my blog to know that this chapter describes me. But I guess I've not known exactly how it applied to me. Until now, maybe it just described this daily fight between the desires of my mind and the desires of my body. About half way through my attempt to write this song, Doug Pinnick writes one that says, "I don't want to do this anymore, I really want to do it." Then when we talked to him after a concert, he blew it off as if he didn't deal with this heart's desire to be obedient battling a sin nature. Well I deal with it.
Why didn't I read Leviticus before when trying to grasp this chapter? Why didn't I read Leviticus as a part of the quest for holiness? I'm not saying that I understand it now, just that I have new, more productive questions. But maybe I do finally understand what Jesus meant when He said that He'd come to fulfill the law.
So God gave us the law, and tells us why, "for you must be holy, as I am holy." Paul points out that the law made sin obvious to us. Sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, "Do not covet," produced in me every kind of covetous desire.
So I arrive at a place where I'm giving a command that I cannot carry out. I now see that I can't be holy, no matter how I try. I have to depend on God, because while I truly desire to be obedient, my nature is to disobedience. I do what I don't want to do and I don't do what I want to do.
From the perspective of my sin nature, it is not I who is holy, but God who works in me. But if I do what I don't want to do, it is not I that does it, but sin in me. In my heart of hearts I want to obey God, but the law of sin is at work in my body. I am dog poop. Who can rescue me from this downward spiraling body of death?
Thanks be to God – through Jesus.
Through the law, we are made to know of our sin. Through our trying, we are made to know of our inability. Through our inability we are made to know of our need. Through our need we are made to call on Jesus. Through Jesus, we are made holy as He fulfills the law by being perfect and obedient in us. There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

|