Tuesday, May 18, 2004

important fact

Motorcycles do not run on diesel fuel!

What's with all these new-fashioned gas pumps anyway? I fully expect that soon you'll pull up to the pump, read about three pages before being required to click "I agree with the terms and conditions herein inscribed upon this dispensor of fossil fuel" before pumping. Already, you have to choose grade, type of fuel, credit or debit, receipt or not, car wash?. Any number of buttons to push and one can only pray that he hasn't just contributed to OPEC fund through his credit card, or agreed to purchase the station attendent's car by debit from his visa. I wish I could push a button that would change that Travis Tritt song that is blaring over the loudspeaker. I think that is to discourage loitering. Push this button, 87 octane. This one, 89. This one, DIESEL!!!
Choose wisely, Dr. Jones.
An Angel stayed my hand at 12 cents of diesel. At today's market price, that's .07 gallons. Best I can tell, a little more than half a pint. That's a lot if you're a first grader in the cafeteria, but hopefully not that much when cut with 4 gallons 89 octane regular gasoline. I went ahead and rode the 10 miles home, drained the tank, and refilled with gas. At 180 miles hence, I've noticed no dire side effects.
I figured at 64:1, gas to diesel, and 50 mpg, 10 miles home, I used .2 gallons of FUEL. That roughly translates to less than an eyedropper of diesel. Divide that between two carburetors and you have a very small amount of worry.
That is a lot of worry for me. I humiliated myself with every mechanic I could think of today and was assured that all should be well. If there was enough diesel to hurt my bike going into the carburetor, it would have stopped firing. Instead, my bike is running fine and my heart has now returned to normal rpm.
All's well that ends well. I guess.

|