Saturday, May 15, 2004

and its not yet 2:00pm!

Graduation Day. 155 graduates shriveling from boredom while their parents bubble with pride and stress over making this day special. Then it's over and life commences.

the struggle for punctuality

On my way here this morning, my bike broke down. I pushed it to an Exxon station to be repaired, and sat to wait in the service area hospitality room. While I sipped my service station coffee, the CIU ministry teams sang for us while we waited. "El Shaddai, El Shaddai, El, Elyon na Adonai." Finally, the mechanic came out to tell me what was wrong with my bike. "the pans are plugged, that's what the problem is. Just unplug the pans and everything will be fine." When I woke up, I was dissappointed that I couldn't ride my bike today, but I finally realized that what is broken in dreams, isn't necessarily broken in real life. So I rode to graduation.

the ride in
On the way here this morning, traffic slowed to a crawl on the interstate as everyone stopped to gawk at a burning tractor-trailer on the opposite side of the interstate. The trailer was burned out, much the way a house looks when its been gutted and some holes have been burned through the outside walls. Each section of the trailer between the braces had burned through. But the cab... was gone. Nothing recognizable as a vehicle of transportation. Not even the engine. A large heap of molten goo without shape lay in front of the trailer. Thick smoke rising straight up. Firefighters circled. I never knew that a fire could literally consume a truck.

separation anxiety
As I don my regalia and process toward the stage, Jack walks out on stage in Orlando with his fiddle. Allison sent me a text message just as we were starting down the aisle. "Jack is walking onto the stage. Please pray."
"Dear Jesus..."

a glimpse of Jesus
My seat at graduation was on the edge of the stage beside the photographer. As each graduate received his/her diploma, about 4 feet in front of me, they turned to be photographed with the president. I got a living snapshot of joyful personality as each one was captured. This was the first graduation ceremony I've ever enjoyed, including my own. Students I've known as serious, let escape a playful part of themselves as the smiled for the camera. Students I've known as cut-ups and clowns showed a grateful, humble soul as the smiled for the camera. Quiet, shy students flashed a playful smile. Loud, obnoxious students, quieted themselves.
Today on the last day of college, I glimpsed past the mask of dozens of students. I looked through the bubble induced, Bible College facade and saw real people. Now I want to start again, let's do this whole education thing again now that I know who you are. I caught you off guard. Look, I'll smile for you. Now do you see Him? Keep that look. Continue to escape. Lose the mask. The real Jesus shone in that instant. I want all your pictures in my office. He looked a little different than the picture of Him that we've painted on our faces. The real one is much more beautiful.

|