Tuesday, April 27, 2004

blame it on midnight

Is it illegal to cut, edit and paste someone else's thoughts into your own application? Probably. But honestly, how else could anything we say make any difference to anyone? I have to admit that I hope someday something I have to say might get snipped and find even some out-of-context fit in someone's situation. Encouragement, conviction, challenge, whatever might be needed. So many do it for me. Even when it has to be filtered.
So last night I was riding and looking up at the same old Louis Armstrong smiling down over the lake. I thought, shame on him, dragging me out here every night like this. Shame on the moon.
It made me think about Matt Redman's challenge of discernment to know what needs to be done but to temper the prophet with a pastor's heart. Why should a song about relationships seem such a stretch of application? Jesus calls us His bride.
There are layers here. I won't trivialize art by explaining it away. It spoke to me. Called to mind by Satchmo widening his smile.


Heaven opens up the door
Where angels fear to tread
Some men go crazy, some men go slow
Some men go just where they want
Some men never go

Everywhere is all around
Comfort in the crowd
Stanger's faces all round
Laughing right out loud
Hey, watch where you're goin', step light on old toes
Until you've been beside a man
You don't know who he knows


- bob seger


|