Wednesday, April 21, 2004

random traveler thought connections

expos.gifBack in the day, Allison and I were given tickets to see the Pittsburg symphony with guest conductor Charles Dutoit. Early that summer, I, et.al. got the chance to sing the national anthem in Pittsburg at a Pirates/Expos game. We sat directly behind home plate. Cool. Later that summer, I was in Montreal for a few days and lo and behold, on my day off, there was an outdoor concert of the Montreal Symphony with Charles Dutoit, and the Expos were playing the Pirates. Hard choice. I went to the concert, having already seen Montreal expose the skull and crossbones of the Pirates a month before. pitt.jpgAlso on that trip, I got to see this really cool windmill in Pointe-Claire, Quebec,windmill.jpg
the Peterborough, Ontario lift locks, and Joseph Scriven's grave.

Having this past Saturday evening free in Ohio, I contemplated driving up to Detroit to see if there was a Tigers or Mudhens game I could catch, then decided to be lazy and take a drive and see what I could see. I saw... windmills! But these weren't ordinary quaint flemish icons of a simpler time. no no! These were high tech monstrosities that demanded awe, rather than ahhhh. 300 hundred feet high in the middle of a corn field. Visible from miles away. Standing there, face into the wind, ready to be moved. You can't see where it comes from or where it goes, but you can feel its effects.
I want to be a windmill. I want to stand there in the field, completely powerless without the silent wind. Moved and powered by the overwhelming gusts of conviction and the gentle warmth of encouragement.
Stand me in the middle of the harvest and hold me up with the wafting scent of honeysuckle from far corners of the field.

|