Saturday, April 10, 2004

feliz cumpleaños del sur

My friend, Larry the composer, when our friendship was new, sent me a short arrangement of "Happy Birthday" for guitar. I recorded it and have put many miles on that mp3, sending it to everyone I know of having a birthday. I think it always gets a smile. Every year I send it back to Larry. Larry's birthday was on Wednesday, so I sent it to him and told him he should arrange another for the decade. So Wednesday evening I took it upon myself to present him with my own guitar arrangement for his birthday. So now I'll have a personality choice with which to annoy birthday people and hopefully Larry will deem it worthy to annoy his birthday friends as well. Please give a listen.
If you know the background of this particular style, surely you'll recognize the polarity of emotions that can surface at birthdays and the love/hate relationship we have with aging. A nod to Buenos Aires and a birthday wish to Larry, Jodi, Abby, Rah-rah, Ashley and Papaw (I'm sure he must have liked the tango). Did I forget anyone?
Feliz cumpleaños del Sur

|