Wednesday, May 12, 2004

and now, for something completely different

Another skill that I’ve noticed diminishing as I get older is my ability to give a polite nod (or boldfaced lie) to the status quo when unwittingly asked something about which I am passionate. I think the habit of blogging has hastened the loss of this ability because I have systematically dealt with so much of my stuff. The result then is that most of the time I don’t merely have a complaint or frustration, I’ve often got what I think is a solution. So be careful, don’t ax me unless you’re willing to hear my answer. Now I’m not saying it will be mean, contradictory, mutinous, radical, or costly – just long.
Yesterday, I was interviewed by a very important person in my sphere. He asked me some specific questions that just happened to be things I’ve thought long and hard about. This is a man I love, respect and trust, and so he got the long version. I think he may have been surprised that I was so ready to voice my responses, and he seemed surprised at their specific nature, but he was definitely ready to hear them. He listened intently for quite some time.
The most encouraging thing happened at the end of the interview, when he summarized several of my points and expressed agreement. He had not just been “going through the motions”, but had sincerely wanted to hear. And he did.
I left the meeting feeling very encouraged that great strides would be taken towards effectiveness and growth. I feel that we may think deeply about our relationships with the students and how we can truly begin to make a difference in their lives. Maybe we as a faculty may even begin to realize what the students have to offer us.

|