Monday, March 22, 2004

pull myself out of bed - put on my walking shoes

There is this place between sleep and awake, dream and reality, where the two mingle. The creative juices are more potent in this place because while one has one foot in reality, he has the other in the world of dreams where all natural laws are suspended.

It is a world of creative anarchy. One can fly simply by willing it, can cure diseases, compose music, create paintings and sculptures, break the surly bonds of earth.
The dream world and the waking world both seem so real that one wonders if they are in fact, two dimensions - two co-existing realities that share the same space. Perhaps while we dream we actually are awake in the other dimension. A dimension in which natural laws, our gifts and abilities, are much different and less fettered, but where we can’t really realize those possibilities. Our minds are working but confined to the bed.

I am fascinated by the moving between these two dimensions. At times, it seems, we simply wake from one and find ourselves in the other, often unaware that we were ever gone. Our eyes are simply opened to things that were hidden to us a fraction of a second before. Other times, we move slowly from one to the other, passing through a zone in which we are not entirely in either world, but partially in both. Here, we feel so awake that all the uninhibited imagination and creativity seem to be permanent. But five minutes later, we are fully in the waking world, and all is lost from the dream world. What was all there in the dream, and still so real in the portal, now gone and forgotten.

I had such an experience this morning, as I often do. I awoke with the greatest blog of the century. I thought to my perfectly awake self as I lay in bed and looked out the window at the sunrise, I’ll just rest a moment and get up and put pen to paper. Feet touch floor, poof.

I wonder if I’ll wake from this reality suddenly, unaware that there was ever anything else. I wonder if I’ll pass slowly through the door to glimpse the next room while still in this one, and continue through until all from this dream is gone. On to the waking world, in awe of the sunrise, oblivious that I’d spent the night in some vague form of fettered reality where my mind had wandered but my body was bound.

|