Wednesday, March 17, 2004

apprenticeship

In recent weeks, I've thought and written a lot about knowing and doing God's will, some I've posted and some not.
I hear students say, "I'm looking for God's will for my life." I hear the strong, confident, pious response, (booming) "God's will is not a mystery, we know God's will."
We preach it all so simply. We ask, "are you fulfilling God's purposes for your life? Here they are..."
Of course we know God's will, that is what Dr. Willard says is the topographical discourse from Matthew 5,6. Then why do we go about wondering what His will for us is?
It strikes me that what we mean is how, and in what venue am I personally to carry out God's will. Perhaps the "how" is most divisive. For it seems that this could be the reason we fight over procedures and methodology and in the name of sola scriptura, reject that many details of our walk must be given us in real time living with Jesus. I want to say that many of us aren't receiving all of Jesus' teaching because we’ve attended the purpose seminar (bible) but have bolted during the apprenticeship. Doesn't the Christian walk include prayer (asking), prayer (listening), obeying what we're told during prayer, in addition to reading and studying? Sure we need to check out what we feel we're hearing via the Spirit with the written Word, but the Word seems to have intentionally stopped short of some specific day to day guidance, comfort and information that God intended us to learn from walking with Him. We're given the opportunity to apprentice to the Author for even more explicit direction.

|