Saturday, March 20, 2004

being there

It has been a week of strokes for me. Tough, busy schedule, no time to think, but around every corner, an encouraging word. Some of them, just average words of appreciation or thanks; others were over-the-top, embarrassing, strength-providing, humility-challenging speeches. I’ve messed up a few times and still received strokes. Don’t worry, I’m not going to tell you about them. Well, just one. One of my students missed his lesson on Thursday. (that, by the way, was a stroke from God, because I wouldn’t have been able to prepare for another responsibility without that extra time.) So he asked if I could squeeze him in on Friday. I tried, but there was no time. I taught straight through the day. He wanted to wanted to make sure things were right so that he could practice during spring break, so I told him I’d come in this morning (Saturday, the first day of spring break) and give him a lesson. I OVER slept. Right through his lesson, right through the morning until the kids came and woke me at 1:15pm. When I rolled out, I found a voice mail from my student. I called him back and rode over to school and gave him a lesson. When we finished, I grabbed my helmet and followed him out of my office. He said, don’t you have to stay and do something? No, why? You came over here just for me? Well, yes? Man! That’s why all the students say this school has the best faculty on the planet! They really do care! Can you believe that? I overslept, missed his lesson, kept him waiting all day, and still get counted among the best faculty on the planet.
So I thought I could share that one because it sure had nothing to do with me, except my failures. It just happened today. Every day this week held something like that, some, much more extravagant. Each one had in common with the others, that they came as the result of nothing I could do, nothing I can really take credit for. Just being, being available, sharing, listening.
Its not always what you think that figures into the worth of what you do. You may be an accountant, garbage collector, machinist, nurse, landscaper, or a guitar and theory teacher, but the difference you make may have nothing to do with what you think it does. But just go on thinking its about what you think it is. If you really knew, you might screw it up.

|