Saturday, February 28, 2004

minister to Jesus?

Despite all my reactions to all the pre-release responses and agendas to the movie, I think my response to the movie is quite different. Even now, I don’t want to talk too much about it, but some things just won’t leave me alone. I tried unsuccessfully to go to the movie twice before I followed through and actually went. In the car, down the road, turn around and drive home. A hundred voices in my head. I had nearly decided to just not go until everyone had stopped talking about it. But I can’t avoid the discussions, and I can’t discuss something I’ve not seen. So I went. I spent a couple hours trying to empty myself of all the commentary and bias and agenda that was pervading my thought. I think I succeeded in getting to the point that I could allow the movie to do what it was going to do. I didn’t know how I would react to the graphic violence inflicted on Jesus. Would I be reduced to a slobbering mass of snot and tears? I experienced a vivid understanding of a strange paradox that I am sure I can’t talk about. Furthermore I am leery of the language I’ll need to say this. I don’t want it to sound like I think highly of myself or that I think salvation ends at this point. Ok, you don’t know what I’m talking about, so here:
I am a forgiven man. Here is the paradox. It was my guilt that caused all that physical and spiritual suffering Jesus endured; but because He endured it, I am not guilty of it. No man can get his mind around this one. It is not for me to understand, it is for me to accept and believe. At the brutality, I winced. I felt thankful. I expected to be crushed with feelings of guilt. But instead, I felt forgiven. It is not lightly that I make that statement. I still sin, but He died once for all. I repent, He forgives.
So having been forgiven, what now? Simon of Cyrene symbolized that to me in the movie. I’m sorry if you’re bothered that his role was embellished beyond the biblical account. I believe that if he had done no more than obey orders and carry the cross, I still would have derived this feeling. Jesus told us to take up our cross and follow him. That is obvious to me in Simon’s role. No doubt we’re supposed to ponder his involvement. His name is given – we know where he is from. Either he was already a disciple, or he later became familiar to the disciples. So how do we take up our cross? The embellishment here had Simon ministering to Jesus. He bore Jesus’ weight, he encouraged Him, he literally shared His burden as Jesus carried ours. I too can minister to Jesus. He explained this throughout his teaching career painting a picture of Kingdom living for us. We are all complaining that the movie nearly completely ignored Jesus teaching, but Simon’s embellished role embodied the whole of it on the road to crucifixion. Jesus said,
“ Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.' Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.”


So having been forgiven begins the process. Living in the Kingdom and obeying Jesus teaching continues the process. Much is expected of those to whom the gospel speaks. This depiction of Christ’s passion is a kick in the pants for me.

|