Wednesday, February 04, 2004

I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out

You know those girls who dance at strip clubs? Neither do I, but that’s beside the point. Has anyone ever called them artists? Or even musicians? Then why do we call people who do the very same thing outside the strip club artists? Why do we pretend that this has anything to do with music?
What motivates these people? Today I read a quote from America’s hero, “Hey man, we love giving you all something to talk about.” Well I’ve got a novel idea, how about some music? Aren’t you supposed to be a musician? Give us some music to talk about. What if you were an actor? Would we talk about your acting or your real life attention getting antics? What if you were a writer? Somehow I thought singers should be known for their singing. I guess I’m not so torqued that you exposed JJ, but that that’s all you’ve got to give us to talk about. It must be a terribly insecure feeling to get on stage in front of millions of people and to know that what you’re there for is not enough to hold their attention.
I used to get mad because I thought the industry believed this music was what I wanted. Now I realize that’s not at all what they believed. Why else would they put one girl on stage lip syncing to pre-recorded music while a gaggle of half-naked girls writhe around and make provocative faces? Even if the music was all being performed live, the majority of the people on stage had nothing to do with the music.
Ok, so that’s all. I’m sorry that I lapsed into a childish tirade that I hope is not exemplary of my normal rants. I’m just practicing being old. I’m betraying my age by thinking that music is supposed to be about music. According to the news today 18-24 year-olds didn’t bat an eyelash. I guess they didn’t realize that these were being advertised as singers. Would you be scandalized if you went to a strip club and all the girls started singing?

|