Tuesday, January 27, 2004

how did I get here?

Well then. Back online. We've been without power since yesterday evening. Just came back. Its a weird feeling to sit inside your house in the dark wearing long-johns and jeans, thermal undershirt, turtle neck, flannel hoodie and fleece. When Will started crying, I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "there are people all over the world right now who would feel warm and dry in our house with us right now." I bit my tongue. Will's sensitvity to the reality of that would break his heart with guilt for complaining. But it sure started me thinking. I don't know why I've been blessed with what I've been given while others are cold and hungry and alone. Honestly, I don't know how to feel about it. Sometimes I think its a trade off for the blessing of simple trust and dependence and the ability to see deeper things without the clutter of convenience. The sky was ten miles deeper tonight with nary a light for miles. Pleiades practically jumped off the canopy at me.
But how could I know? There must an arrogance in even the slightest notion that someone with less than I could consider it a blessing. No, there's an arrogance in not realizing this. Is it both? Is it neither? Why am I growing more comfortable as the thermometer beside my desk reflects the fact that the furnace is back in commission, while someone else is bundling tighter against the falling temps of night?
In a moment, I'll walk downstairs in my beautiful house and climb into my warm bed with my beautiful wife; and I'll ask myself...

|