Friday, December 12, 2003

hmmm...

I just read desertpastor’s blog at Paradoxology. Woah! What a coincidence. Although he posted yesterday morning, I didn’t read it until this morning and I wrote mine 2 days ago and posted last night. Anyway, at first I thought, well, its just the title that is the same. Then I thought, no, he’s noticing an entirely different trend. But now I think we are noticing the same things, but different aspects of them. I am writing quickly here, so I probably won’t be clear. It seems to me that the cry from the church about pomo’s bent to relativism, etc. is fairly accurate, but the ones at whom the finger is pointing are not the most guilty. So I stand by my extremely charged rant that apathy and fence riding and relativism has come from their parents’ generation. Colson observed that young people now are expressing more specific beliefs and are adhering to more traditional moral values. He sees that as evidence that post modern culture is dying. I think he’s making observations among the wrong group of people. Desertpastor’s blog makes observations about changing beliefs and trends in the traditional church. Most post moderns aren’t there. Could it be that those most vocal against post modern culture and its affects on Christianity are those who’ve been impacted most by its noncommittal beliefs while those being preached to and worried about have returned to more solid beliefs (made their own by questioning and seeking) and traditional moral values?

|