Wednesday, December 10, 2003

what it looks like or what it is

So how is it accomplished? I’m given the task to prepare a worship service about lordship. Do I design a service that challenges us and calls us to surrender and submission? Do I seek to investigate God’s call and leading on our lives and what it means to trust Him? Or do I find several songs that have the word, ‘Lord’ prominently displayed in the lyric? On the one hand, the congregation may leave saying, “that was about lordship” when in fact, it wasn’t. Or they may leave having more deeply committed their day to day in following Christ’s lead, example and model for the disciples He wants to create in us, yet be unable to ‘title’ the exploration of our time of worship. This seems to me to be a very serious issue. The problem with the counterfeit exploration of lordship, is that although no growth, or change has taken place, the congregation may feel like it has because they are able to articulate the thread of the service. I’d rather a Christian go about the week more aware of Christ’s presence in his life than be able to articulate what he thought had happened but hadn’t.
I am thinking deeply about this sad dilemma as I prepare advent worship services.
The point is not to make us think about Christmas; but to make us think about what Christmas is there to make us think about. So what is Christmas about? Peace, hope, love, and joy? Or the source of peace, hope, love, and joy? Yeah, we remember Jesus is the reason for the season. We come to Him for peace, hope, love and joy. We usually inform Him by what means we would like Him to provide them to us. If we were to come to Him surrendered, He would provide these things through discovery and knowledge of Him. Shall we feel peace, hope, love, and joy, or simply sing about them?
This advent, I’m seeking Jesus. I’m hoping that I will find these things in forms that I will recognize. That He will give me rest, renewed hope; but if He doesn’t, I’ll continue to seek Him.

|