Thursday, December 04, 2003

nothing is obvious until you see it


So there’s this song that I’ve wanted to do for about 6 months now. I’ve not done it yet because there was a line in there that I couldn’t quite figure out. All the rest of the lyric was wonderful (probably this phrase too, if I could figure it out). I’m not willing to do a song that I don’t have completely figured out, because people will ask me about it. The phrase was one that sounded familiar, in fact, I’m pretty sure I’ve heard it all my life – but where? I searched different translations of the Bible to try and find context and figure out what it meant in the song. No success. After trying to plan the song in several services over time, I had almost given up. Then this week the song seemed to fit so wonderfully with the service for Sunday, it popped back into my head and just sat there. Once again I went on a search, and decided to give it up again.
This morning when I got to work the song was still playing in my head, despite having been listening to something else during the commute. I opened my office door, sat down, picked up my guitar and boom, the song became crystal clear. Even the passages that already made sense took on deeper meaning. Wow, this song is even better for this Sunday than I had realized. I was moved by even a partial understanding of the song and had wanted to do it before. I wonder if God intended it for this particular Sunday and hid from me its meaning until He was ready for me to use it. What do you think? God did stuff like this in the scriptures. Does He still do this?
I know, you’re curious about the song. Sorry. I’m afraid to expose it here for fear that its writer might happen upon this blog via Greg’s and I’d be embarrassed - especially if I’m wrong. Or maybe he’d be embarrassed if I’m right, and he thought it meant something else. Just kidding. Come to church if you want to find out.
So this is the second Sunday of Advent. Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven, and good will to men on whom His favor rests.

|