Monday, December 08, 2003

what about the christian daddy?

The other day, Will came in the house crying, he told me that he was being picked on by older boys up the street. They had pretended there was something in his hair, “let me get that for you”, BLAP. I tried for a long time to encourage him and make him feel better. I told him that the Christian daddy wanted to tell him that he should just accept being wronged and walk away. The human daddy in me wanted him to stick his index finger at the guys nose and say, “Don’t you ever lay a hand on me again.” Then when the kid reached out to pop him a second time, he could nail him right in schnoz. Will said, “Now Dad, what about the Christian daddy.” I know, I know.
Turn the other cheek, that’s an easy one to teach. How often are Christians called upon to literally turn the other cheek after the first cheek has been slapped? Ok, maybe we can apply this to having been wronged in ways other than the literal physical. But what about when it applies to areas that are more subtle and that we no longer bother thinking of in a spiritual or moral context? So what do we call these things, these instances when we don’t turn the other cheek? Self defense? Revenge? Lawsuits? Irreconcilable differences? So I begin thinking about how we narrow down literal or specific meanings of concepts and metaphors. Here’s another:
Don’t take the Lord’s name in vain. Everyday we hear God’s name mindlessly spoken without reference to Him or direction to Him. I’ve brought this to friends’ attention and heard in reply, “oh, I didn’t even realize I’d said that.” I hear it so often that I try really hard not to notice, to be desensitized so I won’t be so offended. This literal, spoken example burns me every time I hear it. But what about other ways that the Lord’s name is taken in vain? Things that have become just as common, but aren’t even given a second thought. Perjury under oath taken on the name of God, broken wedding vows of fidelity ‘til death do us part, made before God, flippant usage of “God” even in public prayer where His name is inserted at every pause as if it is an “uh” or “ah” to fill space while we gather our thoughts, superficially praying in the name of Jesus without thought or consideration of the depth or importance of that claim. What about claiming the name of Christ, calling ourselves by His name and behaving as if we don’t know what that means?
I pray that God and you will point out to me the areas in my life where I neatly compartmentalize these commands and teachings of Christ rather than let them pervade my entire being and completely shape who I am and how I relate to the world around me.

|