Thursday, December 11, 2003

campaign ad campaign

Last Tuesday, I blogged about political candidates ads that said nothing about themselves, but bashed the other candidates. I asked, do the candidates not realize that we can tell that they’ve got no ideas, but have to identify themselves as “not the other candidate”.
This morning I heard, on NPR, a newspot that declared that this year’s swing vote would not be the soccer mom, or the NASCAR dad, but the business woman. The commentator implied that this demographic would have an affect on the look and feel of the campaign because ads don’t seem to work for this group. Ads, she said, are aimed at people who don’t normally pay much attention to politics or issues. So basically, you can feed anything you want into the heads of the target demographic, so long as you target a demographic who do not already have ideas and convictions in their heads. My question has been answered: they do not realize that we recognize their lack of identity, ideas and solutions. In fact, we probably don’t, I’m not part of the target demographic.
But this is not a political blog. Glad I didn’t bring up any specific issue. Its just that it all fits so well into my rant of recent that our subculture has a very similar mindset and modus operandi as the culture at large.
Now there is an invisible second paragraph here that ties this to my subculture experience. But I’ll leave it up to you. Maybe there is no connection for you. That would be great.

|