Monday, November 17, 2003

Insatiable Longing 3.0 - the holy paradox cont...


So I spend quite a bit of time thinking about an unceasing, insatiable longing for God and then design a worship service expressing how He provides every need. “You satisfy me with your love and all I have in You is more than enough.” Yes, even as I plan, study and pray through this, I come across countless passages of scripture that express this paradox – this holy paradox that any worshiping soul will immediately recognize.
Upon taking a drink of the living water that will take away my thirst forever, I am afflicted with an unquenchable desire to drink more deeply.
So I have to spend time first with my understanding of what it is that God promises to supply. “My God shall supply all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” Of course this was written to assure that God wouldn’t let us go needy for having given to the ministry. Paul says here that God’s generosity will exceed ours. Jesus himself tells us not to worry about what we’ll eat (aren’t the ravens fed? And we are more valuable than birds), wear (aren’t the flowers grandly clothed – not even Solomon in all his glory dressed this nice).
So what do I think I need? What constitutes God’s promise kept? If I have to live on rice and raisins? What if I must wear second hand clothes? Let’s take our theology to the streets. There are no doubt plenty of believers living in cardboard boxes in Washington DC, sleeping under borrowed blankets. There are certainly many believers in prison cells eating moldy bread and drinking dirty water, cold and sick. Are God’s promises being kept? Jesus goes on to say, “seek His kingdom and these things will be added to you”. Could He mean that he will supply our need according to what the furthering of the kingdom requires?
I guess where I’m heading here is that it intrigues me that concerning physical needs, God promises to supply them all, but we want more even after he has kept His promise. Jesus said, “Life is more than food and the body more than clothing.”
Concerning spiritual needs, God promises more than we could ever ask or imagine, but we are satisfied with the inception of our salvation. As if we are spiritually adopted out of the orphanage and then left to fend for our infant selves in the corner of the dining room with a spent bottle and a droopy diaper.
Rather, we could ask that He would grant us, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in our hearts through faith; and that we, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that we may be filled up to all the fullness of God.

|