Wednesday, July 20, 2005

howling at the full thunder moon


When I walked out of the gym tonight at 10:00pm and headed toward my bike, the moon had just made it over the roof of Barnes and Noble. This has been an elusive moon all month, due to the very same natural conditions that give it its name, "full thunder moon." I was able to catch a glimpse as it set when it was a days-old sliver of silver, from this same parking lot. Then I photographed it Monday night as it rose above the Bradford Pears beside our driveway. Other than that, it has been quite successful at summoning the evening and night thunderstorms that it and mid-July are known for. We've had thunderstorms almost every evening this month, complete with hazy, overcast night skies. Until the most important day.
Though forecast, no storms today, at least not close by here. The evening air was cooler than normal when I rode to the gym at 8:30. By ten, it seemed to have warmed up a bit, and a slight haze had settled over. Just enough to tint the enormous rising moon with a tinge of pink. But it was still crisp and clear.
I texted Allison, inside B&N to come out and see it, then I rode across the street and met her in the parking lot. We wondered under it together and then I went inside for a cup.
Later we took a full thunder moon ride together. On the way home, coming up highway 6, after crossing back over the dam, we saw a coyote standing on the side of the road. I slowed, hoping he'd stay put, but he went ahead and crossed into a field on the other side. He stood there watching us pass, so I turned around and came back to see him move further into the field. When I passed a third time, he ran into the trees and out of sight.
You tell me what are the chances of taking a night ride in suburbia under the full thunder moon and happening upon a true kindred spirit not a quarter mile from my house staring up at the same mistress. Full moons and coyotes are the stuff of myth and fantasy and dreams. But those of us who dare to believe that the line between this and that is less than subtle, sometimes find the stuff of imagination standing full-flesh in front of us.
Perhaps for you, a moon is a moon. Even a full thunder moon. Maybe for me, on any other night, a coyote sighting would be just that. Sometimes all the elements just come together. And I shared it with my bride on my bike.
Life is good.

|