Saturday, July 16, 2005

new ride for the bride, or... biker babe

Yesterday, I made my visiting Dad, drive up to Easley with me to look at a motorcycle. You remember Easley, don't you? I was a little reluctant to take Allison's truck, as you would imagine, but I knew mine wouldn't make the trip.
So we got Will to ride along, and off we went. 2 hours up. We found the bike after a bit of searching, and decided that Allison could be forced to love it.
So after we decided (read, failed at trying) we couldn't get it into the back of Allison's truck, I resolved to ride it the 130 miles home.
This would be no prob on my bike, but this one is a tiny, low-saddle, 250cc, girl bike. What condition might I find myself in if, in fact, I make it all the way home? Of course I look great on any size bike, so everyone was probably thinking, "look at that huge guy! He makes that bike look tiny!"
But I made it home on back roads, dodging thunderstorms under the half-moon. Dad said he even enjoyed the ride home behind me. South Carolina has some very beautiful scenery if you get off the highway.
Allison took her first riding lesson this morning. She went from coasting down to the end of the cul-de-sac with the engine off, to riding up and down the street and even making it into 2nd gear. If you've not done it, or if it's been a while since you learned to drive, you forget how hard you have to think about what needs to be done to start and stop.
She did a great job, and overcame her fears enough to appear to have enjoyed the experience. But most importantly, she looked great on the bike.

|