Thursday, July 14, 2005

i am somebody

I am a bit late in posting this little tidbit from my day-to-day, but I'd meant to do it right away and got distracted by another thought no doubt. So I'd sort of set it aside until this morning when I shared it with a friend who said, that needs to be blogged. Well I had thought the same thing. So here it is, no doubt a complete letdown after that build up.
A couple weeks ago, I went to the gym without Allison. There was a guy at the check-in counter whom I'd only seen once before, a long time ago. I'd certainly never spoken with him. So I said hello, scanned my bar code and started toward the weights. He politely stopped me and said, "I'm sorry, could you scan your card again? It didn't register." Sure. No problem. So I scanned it again, still without success. Finally he asked me my name so that he could look me up on the computer the old fashioned way. When I told him my name, he said, "ah, so Allison forgot to give you your new membership card? No prob, I'll get you one now. So how is the music going? Do you play many concerts and gigs? Do you enjoy teaching at CIU?"
I asked him if it had all that information in the computer. He said, "no, Allison told me." I asked him how he could remember my name, much less, all that, having never talked to me, nor seen me with Allison.
He said, "oh, I like to talk to people, so I listen when they tell me things."
hmmmmm

|