Wednesday, July 06, 2005

a day in the life

It started out as a normal day. I slept a bit late and slowly began to think about what I ought to be doing instead of lingering beneath the sheet. Allison had long since risen and was going about her day. When I joined the living, we discussed what had to be done, what we desired to have done and when these things might take place. We both desired to go to the gym. Allison wanted to help a friend with some overwhelming nesting attempts. I wanted to bulldoze the debris out of my room over the garage. I also had rehearsal at church at 6:30 Molly had a ballet lesson at 3:00, Will, a piano lesson at 3:15, and Jack, a violin lesson at 4:00.
So Allison, off to help a friend, called at 2:41 to tell me the truck wouldn't start. So I sprang forth to drop off Molly at her lesson and take Will to his and swing by and pick up Allison before retrieving Molly, then Will and stopping to get Jack, turn my truck over to Allison, take my bike to Advance Auto Parts and get some spark plugs, and heroically restore Allison's truck to like-new status on the spot.
After turning my truck over to Allison, I started down the road on my bike and it began to rain. I decided that a hero would ignore the rain, and proceed to accomplish his heoric task, so I rode to her truck, opened the door, deposited my helmet and rolled up my proverbial sleeves. I climbed in to turn the ignition switch just to get a feel for the problem. Vrooooom. Without hesitation the truck roared to life, I put it in gear and drove home to wait on Allison to return from Jack's lesson and drive me back to my bike, on which I could just make it to rehearsal on time. She arrived to pick me up, I threw my guitar and gear into the back, drove to the bike, grabbed my helmet and rode to church.
After rehearsal I realized that Allison had left to hang with her buds at B&N still carrying my helmet and me with my guitar and gear.
I rode home, having left my stuff at church, without a helmet and changed into workout clothes and went to the gym across the street from B&N. I pestered Allison with annoying text messages while I rested between sets and eventually she called me from across the street to ask me if I wanted her to bring me some coffee.
Yes, I said, so she drove over with the coffee and feigned excitement at my pump, flirted with me for a moment and we both drove home in two temporarily working vehicles.
We lit the tiki torch, sat on the deck and read two chapters. She went into the bedroom and I to the kitchen. Three minutes later, I went to the bedroom to kiss her and she was sound asleep under the covers.
It ended as a normal day.

|