Sunday, March 20, 2005

hey vern

I overslept this morning. Actually, I wanted to get up, shower and be ready for the day before Spring arrived. But my alarmS went off and I shut them off without actually becoming coherent. I was jolted awake from inside my head and sat up in bed. I glanced at the clock thinking it might be noon. It was 7:32am and I realized that in two minutes it would be spring. I laid back down on my side and looked out the window to the east to watch spring arrive. The sun was just beginning to show itself through the trees in the back of the house in exactly the same way that 2005 arrived. I stared out and felt the moment when the sun passed over the equator and night and day were of equal length. As it passed, I felt the moment when day became longer than night and light stronger than dark.
I thought it apt that spring should arrive at precisely this time of day and on Resurrection day and Palm Sunday even. The sun was in the exact same position as the waning snow moon that was only visible for a few minutes as it rose before the sun washed it out. It was as if she was being replaced by the first light of spring. The dawn of spring. A solar blossom. It was a sunny, warm, and glorious day.
Welcome back, Vern. We've been waiting for you.

|