Tuesday, March 15, 2005

birds

I'm sitting in my FROG working on Sunday's service and listening to the who who who of an owl in the back yard. Listening to him ask that question over and over, I'm reminded of all the strange fowl incidents I've had in the past several days. There must be some message here that I'm missing. First, I was riding with D and E up to Molly's Rock and glanced in a field beside the road to see a sizeable flock of turkeys staring at my noisy windhorse. Sunday afternoon Dan stopped by on his way home to see if I wanted to ride. He told me that he'd actually been pegged in the chest by a bird on his way to church that morning. We did take a ride and not 3 miles from the house, I nearly hit a buzzard as big as me who was dining at the edge of the road and panicked as I came upon him. In one flap he was up 3 feet and directly in front of my bike. I was this close to being splattered with fresh buzzard and day old raccoon. An hour later I passed by a heron standing ankle deep in a puddle on the side of the road. Then Sunday night after church, I went to the dam to take the picture you now see as the background for the cyberdeck, and after I'd been standing there for 20 or 30 minutes or so talking to dad on the phone, a giant owl lifted over the guardrail 5 feet in front of me and flew right over my head as silent as the night and out of sight.
Add to that the geese that fly over the house screaming every night at approximately 3:00am, and the woodpecker who serves as my 6:00am alarm clock thinking that despite yesterday's fruitless search, surely this time my bedroom window frame will yield some tasty six-legged morsels.
Hitchcock is no longer with us, is he?
Poe, Poe pitiful me.
Nevermore...

(sorry!)

|