Thursday, March 03, 2005

a mile and a half

Today was Jack's FIRST track meet.
He ran the 1600 meters and the 800 meters. Both these events are considered "runs" in middle school. I was a long sprinter in High School, which included the 800 meters, but I didn't run it very often. My regular events were the 400m, the 800m relay and the 1600m relay. Tonight, I was reminded of the greatest challenge of early track season - frigid temps. I was reminded of how difficult it is to hang out on an open field in the blowing wind with the thermometer reading 46 degrees while trying to stay warm enough not to cause bodily damage when the gun goes off and sudden exertion tries to rip sinews in two.
So as I stood along lane 6 at the start/finish line tonight with winter gloves on with my hands in my pockets and my toes tingling, then numb. My heart went out to my middle distance runner son who shaved a truckload of time off both the half and the mile, and only at his first meet. Smiles all around and a prideful father heart. May this be the beginning of an ever-improving scholastic track and field career.

|