Tuesday, February 22, 2005

24 hours of midnight

I just awoke from spending 24 hours in Poe story. I woke up yesterday morning with a knot in my gut and within a couple hours, I was freezing and every muscle in my body was aching. I went back to bed and turned on the electric blanket, and drifted off to the sound of heavy rain and excruciatingly loud thunder. All afternoon, I drifted in and out, continued to hear loud thunder and at dark, lay there with the room flashing with lightning, but couldn’t quite figure out how to call to Allison for something to kill my headache or calm my muscles. Finally I figured it out and she brought me some Ibuprofen. In no time, I broke out in a sweat, my head eased a little and quit spinning, and I was able to think 5 words in a row that all seemed to be a part of the same thought.
I got up and walked slowly about for a few minutes, ran a bath and submerged myself for a while. When I got out of the tub, I was all weak and wobbly again, and my heart was racing so hard I couldn’t stand up. So I grabbed a towel and stumbled to the bed, soaking wet, where I found myself 16 hours later with a splitting headache and sunshine beating in from the window beside me.
That is where the Poe story doesn’t make sense, because a few minutes later, as if she sensed I was back among the living, Allison came in, opened the bedroom window so that I could hear the birds singing, washed a spot on my face and kissed me. The Poe version would have ended with the lightning eerily illuminating my delirium.
I’m not yet sure where this version ends, as I am still weak and am not yet sure what the absence of Motrin would allow. But at least I’m typing.
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary…

|