Friday, September 10, 2004

magic moments

People are not ashamed and aren't generally questioned when they express a worshipful response while gazing at a beautiful sunset, a night sky (even the psalmist did it), or a flower. While they may not respond in the same way, few people would question someone's being moved to worship by a song about worship, even if the music is mediocre or worse Perhaps we should say we're reminded to worship rather than moved. Perhaps not.
Several years ago, the Tallis Scholars came through town at a time when I was being blown away by ancient music. It was quite an experience. I had recently had a strong reaction listening to an interpretation of the Epitaph of Seikilos and tried to share it with my history class. To them, the academic exercise meant nothing and I was so passionate that the whole ordeal just embarrassed me. So some things are not meant to be shared, it would seem. They are to be pondered in your heart, if you will. But my heart ponderings spill, I can't help it, and I again set myself up for embarrassment or worse, chastisement or correction.
I love music, you know. I have had several magic musical moments in my life in which the moments were shared by hundreds of people but I experienced the magic alone. Right after I was married I attended a performance of Brahms' A German Requiem on a Sunday afternoon. I sat in a balcony above the choir and orchestra where I could see none of the performers and was transported in worship as I listened to the scriptures sung in German wafting up from beneath me while folks beside me nodded off. Some years later, I sat in a stale, muggy lecture hall and listening to William Kanengiser give a concert of eastern European music and had a similar experience. Once, Allison and I went to see Mozart's Marriage of Figaro, and when the overture began, I just started crying.
It happened again last night. I shed tears of thankfulness and worshipped for the unnecessary gift of music. Can't I just be thankful that God put music in the world? He gave some people astonishing ability to bring it to life. I heard one last night and was thankful. I am only slightly embarrassed to express my response. I saw three guys, each doing his own thing, working together to accomplish a single purpose. So tightly woven that a single music issued. Three players, one band, one music.
Thank you Lord that there is worthy music in this world, and thank you for people who sacrifice to develop your gifts to an extraordinarily high level.

|