Friday, July 30, 2004

fathers

Well, my call for words about your daddy really wasn't intended for my kids. And I guess in fairness, Will's words weren't really an answer to the call. Yesterday the kids were buzzing and chasing around the house and Will was upset. I stopped them to ask what was the matter. Will said that they'd stolen his "permanent records" book and wouldn't give it back. Molly responded, "but he writes embarrassing stuff about us in there." I said, "cool Will, can I read it?" That got them all laughing, but Will sheepishly confessed, "Well, Dad, there is one thing in there about you." Then they all just rolled. I said, "Will, if you don't let me read it, I'm going to spank you." "I'll take the spanking," Will answered. Later though, he decided I could read it.
As it turns out, WIll's "Permanent Records" book is a very important thing. It is his journaling of observations of reality. His observations of other real people - their flaws and their humanity. Some people could do this, and it might be strange or unhealthy. Not WIll. It is a way that he is learning to put into proper perspective who we all really are and how we fit into one another's lives. I'll leave the explanation at that, but it is very important for him. For us all, for that matter. I have a very wise and intelligent son, with some skewed perpespective.
So he turned to an entry from several weeks ago that finds me as the subject. In my defense, we were all exhausted and starving and there was absolutely nothing in the house to eat.

Mom left, leaving Dad in charge. Oh boy. Fathers. They're good at cheering you up or fixing machinery. Fathers have never been good at cooking. I'm serious. All they can do is heat something up! Tonight is veggie burgers, peanut butter sandwiches or a nice hot cup of Go-to-bed-if-you-won't-eat. Guess what? I chose the cup!
Children are to be nourished with burgers or Mexican, or even Chinese water chestnuts, but not veggie burgers and peanut butter sandwiches!
bye,
Will

|