Thursday, June 02, 2005

return of the wren

The astute reader will remember that a week or so ago I mentioned that I was planning to take the fam to Cranberry to camp and trout fish this week. I resigned that no matter the weather that normally greets us when Allison accompanies, I was going. Rain or shine. As the Monday departure approached weather dot com promise showers and thunderstorms every day that we'd be there. I decided that my resolution was silly, when we could just postpone and enjoy a week at home and then possibly catch a dry week later this month at Cranberry. So here we are, at home, swimming in the x inches of rain that we've had since the weekend.
The even more astute reader will remember that this is the same week that we went to Cranberry last year and experienced only a damp time. Last year's trip produced a lot of blogs, including my most hit blog to date, "of birds and baby people." When we left to go camping, we left behind a Carolina wren's nest with 3 eggs in the garage. I was sure that they'd never survive, but I left the door up about 4 inches so that the mother could come and go. Well, you know the rest of the story.
She's back. She came back on Sunday, the day before we were once again to leave for the mountains. She came to the porch with twigs in her mout while I was blogging, looked at me and then flew to the garage door. When I went to open the door, she flew away, so I thought I'd misunderstood her. Then Tuesday morning, when I went out and opened the door, she landed on my shoulder for a split second before flying outside for breakfast. I guessed that she was pretty torqued for having been locked up so long, so I didn't even check for eggs. Today, she flew out again when I opened the door, so I climbed up and looked. Five tiny wren eggs in the plastic orange pumpkin.

|