Friday, May 20, 2005

coming down on a sunny day

I've been wishing the rain away for over a week now. I've wanted to spend my mornings on the deck with a cup of coffee, sit up late under the stars, and to ride everywhere I go. I've pretty much kept it all bottled up, because aside from few drops yesterday when I took Will for a short ride after school to help him blow away the days frustrations, the threats of showers and storms have been pretty empty.
Al and I sat out last night and watched the moon move in and out from behind clouds. Not there, veiled through transparent, wispy clouds, clear as a bell. That was the pattern. But eventually, when we came in, it was an all clear sky. I awoke to the drone of drizzle. A good hard hard soaking drizzle. Constant and sure. All the windows are open so it sounds and smells and feels like we've placed our bed behind an April waterfall on a lazy stream. It sounds exactly like the days of rain heard and felt from inside the tent at Cranberry whenever Allison decides to go with us.
Now we've been planning to go to Cranberry on Memorial day and spend the week. Normally, I'd be checking forecasts, praying for plenty of clear, cold water in the river and none in the atmosphere. Today I'm thinking, we'll take dozens of pairs of dry underwear, and drink in whatever weather greets us.
It's amazing how we intuitively wish for something that is all fine and dandy, but if it's all we ever get, we become malnourished, dusty, dull or even dead. Right now, I'm can hear the hard drone of millions of drops on the lawn; I can feel the moist air circulating through the open window. I'm dry inside the house, but like the dust and the pollen being washed from every surface outside, I can feel myself cleansed of so much that had built up while I wished away the rain all week in order to do things my way.

|