Sunday, May 15, 2005

trimmed and burnin'


Well yesterday marked the official end of the academic year. That is in the eyes of the observer. In the eyes of the prof, it marked the beginning of countless hours grading projects, correcting exams and averaging grades. As is typical, I played a wedding in addition to commencement participation. Seems like too many big events for one day, but I understand that graduates have their families all gathered, so it’s as good a time as any to get married.
So I got up early on a Saturday after an incredibly long, hard week of little sleep, donned a suit and tie, and wore it for 13 hours. A suit for 13 hours.
The commencement went by without a hitch, and I hung with students for awhile before going to lunch with a former theory student. We had a great conversation which made me late for a rehearsal for the wedding. It didn’t matter, because I made it to the wedding on time, set up, and began playing my 30 minute prelude that turned into 90 minutes. The longest captive audience I’ve ever had.
The wedding was outdoors, at a park, and the bride arrived 60 minutes after the wedding was to have begun, so I covered for her with tons of improvisation which resulted in some fairly decent musical germs that I think I might be able to flesh into a piece. One idea stuck with me and I kept coming back to it. I woke this morning with it running through my mind, so hopefully tonight…
I think I’ll call it trimmed and burning for reasons related to its birthplace and the circumstances in which it was born.
When finally the bride arrived, everything went quickly and smoothly. The evening was beautiful the wedding party was beautiful, the bride was beautiful and the groom, proud.
I rushed home to take off my suit, feeling like a dishrag, put on some trusty blue jeans and climbed on the bike for a dusk ride.
Thus, the 2004/05 academic year is concluded. I’m ready for a deep breath, a fishing rod and the resurrection of many tabled projects and ideas.

|