Sunday, May 08, 2005

mother of my children

a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

Maybe one of the most awesome things ever is that of that union, the two become father and mother. You, my love, have borne three children for me. I’ve seen, experienced, and felt all your feminine glories, but no glory has been as great as the births of our 3 wee ones. To have seen the damage, the work, the violence, and the pain suffered to bring them into the world and to have witnessed the love and tenderness immediately poured out as they were laid in your arms.
I watched you be their sole caretaker for 9 months and then deliver them for me to share in your glory. I cut their cords and severed your physical connection but watched the emotional connection grow and be returned by tiny, loving, needy faces. I felt the frustration of not being mommy at 3:00am while you were at work, but via a phone call, you mothered us both and provided a means for a bonding that many never have with their fathers and many fathers never experience.
Thank you for choosing me to be the man that made you a mother, for allowing me to father your children, and for trusting me to share both our responsibilities as parents.
Never were there three more beautiful children born of man and woman.

|