Thursday, May 12, 2005

manifesto

...I no longer want be the apologetic prophet. I want to be who I am, the apologist prophet. I am the subversive pastor. I will no longer quietly tolerate the status quo. I don’t need to demand that my stuff be recognized and taken seriously. No one ever thinks I mean what I say anyway. I'll accept this as my predecessors have. I’m just cynical, or they have no idea at what depth I feel what I am expressing, what pain I feel when I express pain. Does anyone identify with Jesus’ upset stomach when he looked out over Jerusalem? Who sheds a tear? How do shed tears translate into pulpit jokes?
This is serious business. I’ve got a rising phoenix tattooed on my angel bone. I am a subversive. I will speak parables. I will live a parable. I will hear the still small voice after the wind and fire and earthquake. I will be the still small voice after the wind and fire and earthquake.

|