Thursday, May 19, 2005

otus asio

We have a new neighbor across the pond in back. Al and I first became aware late one night last week. I honestly thought someone was being stabbed or something. Every dog in the neighborhood was terrified and calling out in fear. I sprang from the bed and went out on the deck to determine from whence the horror came. Outside, I could hear the call more clearly and recognized a familiarity to it.
I remember when I was a kid and would spend the night with Mamaw and Papaw, I would often hear a very eery sound from down in the tobacco barn. I couldn't remember what it sounded like, but I remember the feeling it gave me. This was that feeling. So I went to the internet, googled Screech owls and listened to their calls. None of the calls were as scary and terrible as the one Al and I heard, but it was pretty obvious they were made by the same creature.
Tonight it's out there again. The dogs seem to be less afraid tonight. Maybe they've got a watchdog protecting them from those we do not speak of, or as I'd like to say, "those of whom we do not speak."
Anyway, our known owl neighbors have doubled as a tiny Screech owl has joined our trusty, nightly Barred Owl in ridding our yard of nocturnal rodents. The barred owl flies just above the deck from time to time to check out the activity. Maybe we'll see it joined by this little guy who delights in scaring the pajamas off anyone who hears him call out in horror in the middle of the night. I can't imagine that sound just outside my window. Gives me the shivers.

|