Tuesday, April 05, 2005

olfactory oratorio

This morning as I was riding in to work, the wisteria along I-20 at malfunction-junction looked like a purple waterfall cascading from the top of the trees. Deep purple torrents flowing down with light purple spray as it crashed against the imaginary rocks. Thick, spring thaw water, all purple with the colors of spring. The crisp, morning air left most of the joy to the eyes.
I got back on my bike at lunch time to meet Allison at The Boy for lunch. This time, the air was warm and there was a breeze. As I started down the hill to the freeway, the spring smell was so thick I could feel it entering my nostrils. Warm, floral, jasmine; I could smell the colors as they wisped around my head and found their way under my helmet and just hung behind the face mask. My eyes had to share the vernal happiness with my nose. Oh, the smell.
I took this pic as I rode by on my bike tonight on my way home from work, so it doesn't even come close to representing the real thing. I had to try to capture it though.

|