Wednesday, August 18, 2004

spend ‘em if you’ve got ‘em

Back to the old salt mine. Things are kicking back into full swing. Summer bunt is over. One of the great things about this time in the work year is that it can be assumed that all the budget money is still there. Yesterday in my mailbox, I had three sheets of paper informing me of 3 budget items for my use - new professional and ministry budget, a library new acquisitions budget and a book allowance. So last night I bought 11 books from Amazon.com, and still have 40% of my allowance left. I wish I could share it. I’d help realize some of my reader friends' wish lists. I also shopped the guitarsolo catalog for music to put in the library (that budget is twice the amount of my book allowance). And finally, I shopped travelocity.com for airfare to and from Montreal for October. This time it would be all music and no baseball. Did you know you can fly from here to Montreal, via Detroit, and back, for $267? After the registration price, if I eat peanut butter sandwiches for lunch and dinner, skip breakfast, and sleep in the stairwell, I can come in under budget. It’s worth it.
I’ve got a few gigs lined up – maybe I won’t skip breakfast.

|