Thursday, December 21, 2006

in the bleak mid-winter

Tonight Allison made a wonderful supper of broiled salmon with rice and sugar snap peas. Mmmm. Mmmmm. After we’d eaten, and while we were still around the table, winter arrived. I felt the chill.
As I’ve said many times, I’m always surprised when it actually gets a bit chilly here, because it stays warm through Christmas. The temperature has been in the mid 70s here for over a week. Today it’s been chilly and dreary. Apt.
Above the rainy clouds tonight, there was a spectacular, hidden solstice party. At sunset, (also hidden) the thinnest, slivery, eerie, fingernail of a baby moon set behind the clouds as a newly returned Venus followed suit to kick off the year’s longest night. But it was not to be seen.

Sometimes, I’m bothered by the winter solstice. Those times, I’m pondering the beginning of the long, cold winter. But sometimes I consider that the longest night means that tomorrow night will be shorter. The sun will set just a little later as it begins it trek northward. It’s the beginning of the trek toward spring. In the darkest, coldest, barren times, hope is kept in the surety of re-birth.

So I’ll shut up about it until spring arrives.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

|